Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Watch on left or right hand?

dennis@home wrote
NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I do PC support for other people as a living, but all my standard
"tricks" have not made much improvement on my own PC: a PC with loads
of free memory shouldn't have times when it hammers the disk as if
it's swapping to page file and its CPU usage on system (ie not
user-initiated) tasks shoots up to nearly 100%. And that's before I
try to do CPU-hungry things like playing HD video.

Running which OS ?

Win 7.

AMD E-450 1.7 GHz CPU
6 GB RAM

HDD has about 2 GB free space and is defragmented

Avast (free) anti-virus

I've used MSCONFIG to disable all the Samsung-specific utilities
that came with it. and checked for anything else that gets started
automatically to make sure there's nothing unexpected or unwanted,

I have two little PCs.. one with an atom and one with an AMD CPU both
are supposed to be about the same power. The Amd one is far slower
even though it has twice the RAM as the intel one. I really don't know
why its slower other than someone lies about CPU throughput.

They both have SSDs but the intel one is one of the slow ones
while the Amd machine has a proper 2.5inch SSD in it.

Both run the same version of win 10.

The performance difference is a factor of two or more.

Interesting. I use Intel cpus whenever I can.