Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default 415V sticker in household meter box

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:26:27 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 14:44:28 +0100, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

A 100A fuse will blow just beyond 100A whether it's at 12V or

1200V.

Thank God. I ve been waiting three years for someone to answer..

Why do people like you get so upset about dates?

'cause it shows ignorance of the platform they are using to access
USENET.

Invalid assumption. Maybe they just don't mind answering older questions.

And in this case part of the late answer is wrong. Unless "just
beyoud 100A" has been redefined to mean 2 or 3 times the 100A rated
capacity and even then it'll take a while to blow (seconds to
minutes).

They are pretty **** actually. I had a kettle running at 2400W (10 amps) on a 5A plug fuse which lasted for 3 months of using it several times a day before it blew. And a colleague had 2 tumble driers and 2 washing machines running on a 4 way power strip, which melted the strip into a soggy mess and didn't blow the 13A fuse. Makes you wonder why we have them at all. Surely they can design them to take triple load for 5 seconds (to allow for motors starting), then blow if it's over the rating after that? Simply the temperature of the wire should reach a certain point? But all we seem to have is "fast blow" which won't allow for motors and "slow blow" which is in plug fuses and doesn't blow other than a dead short.

--
Ireland's worst air disaster occurred early this morning when a small two-seater Cessna plane crashed into a cemetery. Irish search and rescue workers have recovered 2826 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the night.