Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default Watch on left or right hand?

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:26:20 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

On 24/04/2018 17:54, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:05:34 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

====snip====

I feel lost without a watch, even when I have my phone to hand. Plus I
can glance at it at any time, without having to retrieve it from my
pocket and turn screen on. Plus the battery is unlikely to go flat for
the next 18 months or so.

In my case, the next 120 months or so (assuming my watch lasts *another*
ten years). :-)

You can't complain at that!

The battery in mine usually last 18 to 24 months. I then change it
myself, as it's 50/50 when I take it to a jewellers or watch place,
whether they will actually do it or will attempt to send it off to be
done ... at a cost of £60! The watch itself I've had for 18 years.

My neighbour paid £70 for a Calvin Klein watch. Fair enough, it looks quite stylish and is fairly thin. But.... it isn't waterproof, at all. He has to take it off if he goes walking and it rains, or if he washes the dishes. Completely useless. I thought they invented waterproof watches in the 80s.

I replace my own battery at a cost of 10p. Pack of 10 CR2025 for £1 on Ebay.

My father still wears his Seiko LCD digital watch pretty well all day,
every day - he's had it since the late '70s, when it replaced his
battery eating LED watch!

The Sinclair?

For a real battery eating watch, Google "Nixie watch".

Those tilt things don't work. I had a Casio which turned on the light (if you chose that mode) whenever you tilted it. I found it just switched on 1000s of times a day whenever I was doing this and that, and also in bed it kept coming on and waking me up. Both of which used the battery up quickly.

--
Maybe the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence because that is where the leaky septic tank is buried.