Lawrence Wasserman

Default Electrical Subpanel

In article ,
Toller wrote:

If you have more than 6 switches (breakers) in the subpanel in the shop,

it
needs to have a main disconnect. If it has six or fewer switches, you can
get by without a main disconnect.

Can you document that? My subpanel has room for 16 breakers (I am using 7
of them) but nowhere for a main disconnect.
I don't know why you would even want a main disconnect; doesn't the breaker
in main panel do that?

If the subpanel has room for 16 breakers then it has room for a main
disconnect. Assuming 220V service you will use 2 of the available
positions for the main (subpanel) disconnect. Again, it would be
really really good to have a printed reference book with you when
doing this reather than relying on usenet!

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland