Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Doorbell upgrade

On 24/04/2018 09:18, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well Ring is now an Amazon company, but no you could not use a resistor as
the drop over that would depend on current drawn through it. Did you miss
ohms law?
You could use a series regulator chip but in both cases the current drawn
would be greater than if it was in fact matched internally, which I'd have
though was what Ring do in their circuit.

This is 24V AC and NOT 24V DC

I don't understand why anything should have a different dc voltage in
one country to another though.

Very short sighted to design a power supply for the push button box that
couldn't supply the necessary internal DC voltages from the electronics
from both 12 and 24V AC. There cannot be anything in the push button
box that in other applications would be supplied from a 5V USB connection.