Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Doorbell upgrade

Well Ring is now an Amazon company, but no you could not use a resistor as
the drop over that would depend on current drawn through it. Did you miss
ohms law?
You could use a series regulator chip but in both cases the current drawn
would be greater than if it was in fact matched internally, which I'd have
though was what Ring do in their circuit.
I don't understand why anything should have a different dc voltage in one
country to another though.

Remember however you regulate the voltage, as you take current the extra
dissipation is expressed as heat unless you use a switch mode device where
its the duty cycle that changes. Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Peter Johnson" wrote in message
I have a wired doorbell with two chimes wired in parallel and I am
thinking of replacing the bell press with a Ring Video Doorbell Pro.
Being designed in the US, this runs at 24v.To enable it to be
installed in UK 12v installations Ring provide a link wire to be
installed in the chime, to disable it. Details he
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar...ropean-Version
Two questions:
1) What would be the likely effect of my 12v chimes receiving 24v?
2) Wouldn't it be possible to put a resistor in the circuit so the
chimes get 12v? (I guess that if the answer was yes the Ring would
provide one but I'd be interested in knowing what the team thinks.)

TIA