Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Doorbell upgrade

On 23/04/2018 20:55, Peter Johnson wrote:
I have a wired doorbell with two chimes wired in parallel and I am
thinking of replacing the bell press with a Ring Video Doorbell Pro.
Being designed in the US, this runs at 24v.To enable it to be
installed in UK 12v installations Ring provide a link wire to be
installed in the chime, to disable it. Details he
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar...ropean-Version
Two questions:
1) What would be the likely effect of my 12v chimes receiving 24v?
2) Wouldn't it be possible to put a resistor in the circuit so the
chimes get 12v? (I guess that if the answer was yes the Ring would
provide one but I'd be interested in knowing what the team thinks.)

I wonder which bit of the system contains all the intelligence?

If it's the door push box with the camera that contains the wi-fi
transmitter/controller and the plug in ringer is just that then to
obtain your own system just go along to someone with one of these
systems and unscrew the bell push/camera from the front door!