Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 58w fluorescent on a PIR

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
Yes - but I'd guess those are all proper LED fittings. Not a LED
designed to replace a tungsten bulb directly. To me, those are in the
same class as CFL. A very badly engineered idea.

A complete LED luminair with non-user replaceable LED lamp is not
always a badly engineered idea (provided it's reasonably well
engineered). A classic example being a 30W LED floodlight alternative
to the 'standard' 300W linear halogen bulbed floodlight that more or
less demands a trip up a ladder once or twice a year to fiddle about
replacing a blown bulb until the PIR switch itself blows up leaving you
thinking you might as well make do with a 60W porch light until
decently efficient LED equivalents to the 300/500W security flood
lights finally materialise at a less than eye watering price. One of
those is likely to outlast a new build house! No more repeat trips up
that damned ladder in the depths of winter any more. :-)

I just replaced the entire fittings with LED ones. Of course they are
nothing like as bright as the old 300w tungsten. But just about adequate.

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.