Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Builders and electrics

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:08:02 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 21/04/2018 20:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Not like the guy who decided that when there were a lot of power cuts
he would simply wire a 13amp plug to the end of his generator and plug
it in a spare socket. I am glad I was not at his house when the power
came back on or indeed when he left the plug lying around with the
generator running. OK so he turned the mains off, but well, I mean. No
idea of what current stuff uses.

A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut off:
A cable with a plug each end.

Aka a "Jesus cord". I'm not sure of its origin which I think is American
but two possibilities spring to mind,

"A JESUS H. CHRIST!" that was a nasty shock "Cord" (120vac if I'm right
about its American origin) or else named for the moment after it
electrocutes you and you get to say "Hi Jesus! What an unexpected
surprise!". :-)

--
Johnny B Good