Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Ridge tile problem

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 22/04/2018 13:43, Jim K wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Jim K wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/04/2018 22:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

He didn't need to hack off, just 'butter' a bit over the exposed
tile edges.

I've been on hundreds of roofs where that's been done and the new
mortar has come off and slid down the roof. The only way to do ridges
is to take the tiles right off, remove all the old mortar, lay a new
bed, then point up.

And if you must use mortar,

Er... are there many other options for a traditional house repair?

For ridge tiles? Plenty. They ain't load bearing.

Other than mortar what would you recommend?

He's probably just trying to come across as a clever where others would
just mention the option of using a dry ridge system in place of
traditional ridge tiles. Doesn't work for me but it's a free country...

Feel very free to pay someone who knocks on the door to 'patch' your ridge
tiles using ordinary mortar. As often as you want to.

Oh I shall. As I said, it's a free country.

By the same token you are free play the secret squirrel with your expert
knowledge of ridge tiles.

Nevertheless I'm content with what was done to reinstated the Victorian
ridge tiles here with mortar bedding. The roofer who did that used
mortar which AFAICS anticipated the revised BS 5534 (albeit without the
addition of mechanical fixings, which I doubt could be achieved without
replacements). And he was a nice bloke who was happy to share his
knowledge with me - albeit in the sure and certain knowledge that I'd
not be DIY'ing ridge tiles on a normal pitched roof!

And I trust it's not breaching your secret squirrel hoard to reveal that
was to use for all such fixings a 3:1 mix with sharp sand and
plasticiser. (AINU BS 5534 requires a 3:1 mix with only enough soft
sand to give a workable mix, and at least 1/3 sharp sand.)

--
Robin