Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Ridge tile problem

Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/04/2018 13:02, Jim K wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/04/2018 22:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

He didn't need to hack off, just 'butter' a bit over the exposed
tile edges.

I've been on hundreds of roofs where that's been done and the new
mortar has come off and slid down the roof. The only way to do
ridges is to take the tiles right off, remove all the old mortar,
lay a new bed, then point up.

And if you must use mortar,

Er... are there many other options for a traditional house repair?

I've seen ridge tiles 'fastened' on with silicon sealant!

Bill

A thin flag thing or whatever they are called was insecure on my front
garden decorative garden wall. Those concrete square things which are sort
of hollow with a pattern set on bricks.
Eight years ago I squirted a bit of silicone under it. The bloke next door
was highly amused.
Eight years down the road and the flag thing is still there.