Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Fluorescent light and starter question.

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 07:49:08 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

snip

So a starter for an old 80W tube might not work on a current 70W tube.
It would have been more accurate to rate them by tube length where the
original 4-80W starter would have been tubes up to 5', although even
that's not perfect. There was generally enough leaway they worked
outside their ratings, but you hit one that doesn't.

I notice that starters nowadays seem to be 4-65W (which is probably
exactly the same as the old 4-80W starter), 70W is a separate starter,
also a 70-100W starter (which is probably exactly same as old 125W
starter for old 8' tubes).

snip

I asked a mate if I could borrow a 4-80W starter (thinking he'd have a
spare) and he went out and bought me one, a 4-65W.

Anyroadup, I thought I'd give it a try and it seems to work fine so
far but I'd have to see how long it lasts to be fair to the
questionable ones (as they may have run for a week before the issues
started).

Cheers, T i m