Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Builders and electrics

On Saturday, 21 April 2018 20:52:55 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Not like the guy who decided that when there were a lot of power cuts he
would simply wire a 13amp plug to the end of his generator and plug it in a
spare socket. I am glad I was not at his house when the power came back on
or indeed when he left the plug lying around with the generator running. OK
so he turned the mains off, but well, I mean. No idea of what current stuff
uses.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

"I don't understand why it went bang I had turned off the lights"

"To keep it safe until the ceiling was re-boarded and new rose was fitted
I connected all the red wires together and all the black wires together"

It's called a"Jesus cord".
If you're going to do it, the mains has to be turned off to isolate you from everywhere else while your local generator is running

The danger is you can have a cable with a plug on the end with live pins.