Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 58w fluorescent on a PIR

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
58w fluorescent on a PIR, with mag-ballast in a utility room.

The tube finally refused to strike up last week, so I installed a
replacement tube, all back to normal now, but I am wondering whether to
adapt it to LED tube or fit an E-ballast. It is a room we often walk in
or out of with hands full, so I replaced the switch with an occupancy
switch (PIR). Once triggered, it remains lit for maybe ten minutes and
maybe comes on three to five times a day - so economy is not a high
priority, so much as tube life. It has gone through maybe three tubes,
in around 20 years.

A decent electronic ballast will not only give longer tube life, but
faster start up too.

I am not keen to replace the complete fitting, but I have a small stock
of 3.5w BC LED's. I could perhaps cheaply DIY adapt the fitting, with
4x BC lamp holders.

Despite the claims for long life, I'm not convinced replacement LED bulbs
with built in electronics do all last the claimed life except under lab
conditions.

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.