Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 58w fluorescent on a PIR

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
58w fluorescent on a PIR, with mag-ballast in a utility room.

The tube finally refused to strike up last week, so I installed a
replacement tube, all back to normal now, but I am wondering whether to
adapt it to LED tube or fit an E-ballast. It is a room we often walk in
or out of with hands full, so I replaced the switch with an occupancy
switch (PIR). Once triggered, it remains lit for maybe ten minutes and
maybe comes on three to five times a day - so economy is not a high
priority, so much as tube life. It has gone through maybe three tubes,
in around 20 years.

I am not keen to replace the complete fitting, but I have a small stock
of 3.5w BC LED's. I could perhaps cheaply DIY adapt the fitting, with
4x BC lamp holders.

Occupancy sensors driving flouresents is not ideal, but if you just
accept you'll get shorter tube life, and they won't have run up to
final output before you finish using the room, then it can be done.
I have 3 x 58W fluorescents in my internal garage where the freezer
is on occupancy sensor. I replaced the ballasts with electronic
instant start (that's real instant start, not even a few milliseconds
preheat), and they're on a 20 min timer. I think they're on their
second tubes in 15 years, although the total 'on' duration wouldn't
come close to merit that. If I was doing it now, I would use LEDs
of course.

--
Andrew Gabriel