Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need to be able to custom cut thin walled PVC pipe indoors

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 14:00:27 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/20/2018 11:03 AM, wrote:

CHLORINATED not Crosslinked. That pipe is also very pliable when it is
new. It gets brittle with age. They use a lot of it down here although
PEX (the one that is Crosslinked) is taking over now that they have
the termination problems solved. That is more like hose than pipe and
very flexible.

I stand corrected. It just came out of my memory and I should have
checked again. It is chemically modified and probably breaks down
differently with aging.

Plumbers have told us that copper pipes age faster with our well water
and I had thought about CPVC and PEX as alternatives. One neighbor got
CPVC and I heard about his breakage problem. Another got PEX and the
fittings started to leak. I have not had a leak in the copper for 20
years. Lessons to learn to all in group considering use of a new
material in the home where long life is needed.

Plastic installers are better these days and the termination system
used with PEX has fixed those leaks.
I am not sure about what you get at Home Depot but a real plumber
crimps a ferrule on that PEX that is not coming apart.
CPVC has been the standard down here for 30 years with a pretty good
track record. Lots of copper has pin holed and was replaced in that
time.