Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Fluorescent light and starter question.

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 21:04:20 +0100, ARW
wrote:

On 20/04/2018 18:51, T i m wrote:

Now, What *I* think might be happening (on the first two new starters
at least) is they initially start and run the tubes (two separate
fittings) ok until everything warms up, when the voltage across the
tube increases slightly, causing the starter to re-trigger and the
tube to blink off and back on again. This process is fairly repeatable
(it might vary between fittings) and the blinking get's worse if
left.

Is it just duff (weak) starters or *could there* be something else?

Remove the starter after the tube is lit and see what happens.

It works fine till you turn it off again. ;-)

The
starter is a one shot process.

Agreed, it *should* be but I was wondering under what criteria it
might try to kick in again after say a couple of hours? eg, what if a
ballast was going or a tube etc (except the ballasts have been there
since I fitted the units possibly 30 years ago (could be less [1]) and
they currently have new Philips tubes).

Once the tube is lit it has no further use.

Agreed.

Cheers, T i m

[1] The diffusers yellowed and the end plastics went brittle so I may
have bought new (slimline) fittings (Fitzgerald?) somewhere along the
line.