Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Trying to determine the exact centre line of a party wall

On 20/04/2018 08:05, Bert Coules wrote:
I have to find the exact centre line of the party wall which divides two
semi-detached bungalows. Unfortunately, internal and external changes
over the years mean that simply measuring between the nearest windows on
each property and dividing by two won't necessarily give an accurate
result.

Before the two owners get involved with anything more drastic, is it
reasonable to suppose that the external chimney stack sits squarely
across the dividing line?Â* If so, then the centre of the stack marks the
centre of the dividing wall.

I assume this is about your neighbour's complaint that your loft
extension has trespassed on their side (your post last year).

In that context I think the answer must be "no". I say that because the
centre of the party wall *at any point* is the centre of the party wall
*at that point*. I don't think you can assume that those points are on
a straight line, that the chimney stack was built precisely across the
property line and four square to it, or anything else of much use. Bear
in mind that AIUI you cannot even take it as an irrefutable fact that a
straight party wall was built 50:50 across the property line.

But a photo or 2 might help as I'm puzzled how the chimney ends up
bveing the best guide to where the party wall runs.

--
Robin