Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default need to be able to custom cut thin walled PVC pipe indoors

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 4:17:06 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:47:28 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40.

First ask if you have to use the thin stuff. The Sch 40 is a little more forgiving.

But you won't cut that with a knife either. Can't be done.

Depends on what you call a knife. A simple handheld knife, I agree won't work.
But there are hand held knife based PVC pipe cutters that work like
a set of jaws, with one side being the knife. It has a ratchet type
mechanism and when you squeeze it forces the knife through the pipe.
Works for PVC up to about 1.5".

You either saw it (the finer tooth the better) or use a tubing cutter. I use a tubing cutter and get very clean cuts but I don't cut anything bigger than an inch.

Holes. Drill bit or hole saw depending on size. Make sure you have the pipe held securely.