Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Check Valve Plastic Valve

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
On 4/19/2018 12:46 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 12:11:09 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

huge snip
As soon as the valve opened up it would
equalize pressure and flow fine until the compressor motor turned
off.

Many years ago when I was a tween Dad brought home a small
single stage air compressor that needed a motor. We scrounged up
1/3 hp
and I put it together along with a new hose and fittings. The check
valve had problems so I just removed it. Without the check valve it
wouldn't pump up much and the motor would stall out. Something like
40-50 psi max. Of course it wouldn't hold pressure either, leaking
back
through the pump when I pulled the plug... So I cleaned up the
check
valve and put it back in. Then it would pump up to over 100 psi
before
the motor stalled out. The point being is that the check valve was
cycling back and forth with each stroke of the pump. It didn't just
open and then close when the pump shut off.

I learned a lot about air compressors, quick disconnects... with
that
little project. I think Dad planned it that way

That is good feedback. I had not considered that an air compressor
does not provide constant pressure above the check valve. I guess
when I need to repair/replace that check valve (soon probably) an
experiment might be in order. Should be pretty easy to add an
upstream gage to see what is happening. Might have to use a digital
gage with a data output of some kind so swings can be logged faster.

I made a cam lever that replaces the pull ring on my compressor's
pressure relief valve to unload it enough to start on a small
generator. When the valve is open it pulses like an engine exhaust.
https://www.amazon.com/Forney-75552-.../dp/B003X5XJPM
-jsw