Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need to be able to custom cut thin walled PVC pipe indoors

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 08:24:04 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 4/19/2018 7:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:47:28 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40. I am doing this for an art project so I will need to cut
precise holes into it as well as just plain cutting of the ends. Is
there something cheap I can use indoors to do this? So far, I tried a
really large, kitchen knife but it wouldn't begin to cut through the
pipe. I also tried a multi piece Xacto knife set with many different
blades, but broke the first blade trying to get through it. Thanks in
advance for any help.

To cut it, they have a hand held PVC pipe cutter that is essentially a knife
combined with a holder and two grips that you squeeze. That will
give you clean cuts. To make a hole,
I haven't done that, but I would try using a heated pointed object,
eg nail tip, to first make an indentation as a starting point,
then use a hand held drill.

Those under sink pipes are a lot harder, thinners and more brittle that
PVC pipe. I seriously doubt if any knife blade is going to cut them
without many repetitions of a blade tip scraping away a bit at a time. A
fine bladed saw would be a much better bet. Try a hacksaw or coping saw.

If they are new pipes, a sharp PVC cutter goes right through them but
once they get old and brittle, like you find under a sink, I agree,
wear eye protection because they will shatter.