Dave Plowman

Default Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I think they used to use mortar in the old days - I had a splash back in
my kitchen so done. And they took some removing as the walls were also
skimmed in mortar, with a thin skin of plaster on top.

In the old days, I think it was done with sand/cement/lime render,
and then a very thin coat of cement, maybe pure with no sand, or just
with just a small amount of sand, to stick the tiles to the surface of
the render. (I was told, but it was a while ago and I might have mis-
remembered.)

I *think* mine was actually repairs to war damage, as no other room in the
house had this type of 'plaster'.

Modern tile adhesive will be much easier to use though.

Yes, but mortar based ones are pretty expensive.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn