Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Absorbing heat?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:57:36 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 15:18:56 +0100
T i m wrote:

Maybe even brass 'shim' material formed into said 'U' would be better
at conducting the heat away and to the case than the air would with
convection?

I suspect heatsinks fixed to the chips with thermal adhesive stand a
better chance of making good thermal contact than a flexible strip that
you can only glue at one end,

If I was to use a thermal epoxy to bond a 'heatpipe' to the main chip,
I would then bolt the other end to the inside of the case, also using
thermal compound.

even though they rely mostly on the air
inside the case to lose heat.

Quite, and then we are back to how well the case itself might relay
that heat out.

I was hoping the heatsinks would provide a little thermal inertia and
also a better chip-to-air transfer. More heat transferred into the air
within the case should make the air warmer (and the chip cooler) and
therefore the case may be then able to re-radiate more of that heat to
the outside world?

An external heatsink bolted to the outside of the case (and with
thermal paste) and with the heatsink fins arranged vertically re the
typical airflow should silently help to keep the case itself cool.

What about attaching a (matt black) heatsink to the *inside* of the
case (again, with paste or thermal glue) to increase the cases heat
absorption rate (and thermal mass as an aside)? ;-)

Cheers, T i m