Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Paletized bench tools

On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 8:56:36 AM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have a beautiful workbench top in my garage. I face glued 20 2x4s...Is there some mounting system
off-the-shelf? I still have a few tools to mount.

Anvils commonly had a through square hole (the Hardy), and a shanked tool could be
dropped in there and (depending on design) held by a wedge through a slotted tang.

An inset hard spot on top of the table, and another hard spot on the underside, and you
can shank-mount any fitted item.

Another scheme I've liked, is to put a magnetic base (one of those machinist dial indicator
bases) upside down, and a variety of tooling can be positioned on it, and locked by
flipping the lever. Not gonna work for heavy vises, though.

A third approach is a few rows of holes with tee nuts on the bottom; then you can take a
gizmo-on-a-plate to the bench, position it between two rows of holes, and use
ell sections as holddowns to clamp the plate. Or buy commercial holddowns:

https://www.carbideanddiamondtooling.com/Heavy.Duty.Hold.Down.Clamp.Set.Pair.625.750875.T-Slot

I've found that painting the wood with white glue (or cementing some fine sandpaper to it)
makes the friction of wood-on-wood quite satisfactory for clamped items.