Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding an ammeter to a car

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Graeme wrote:

Found cable described as 3.0mm˛ 44/0.30 27.5 Amp, which seems OK, or
should I go for 4.5mm˛ 65/0.30 35 Amp to be on the safe side?

Use what Lucas did?

I fitted several ammeters to cars many years ago, but each came as a
kit, with cable. Trouble is, I now don't know what Lucas supplied, back
then. I find it very difficult to visualise what cable looks like. Easy
to read the description, but without seeing drums of the stuff, I'm not
confident I would choose the correct size from description alone.

Snag is modern cable can look very different from older stuff at a glance.
From the pretty old woven fabric to the later PVC and later still thin
wall PVC. But you can measure the diameter of the conductor and calculate
the metric cross sectional area, which modern cables are specified in.

It also depends on what is wired via your ammeter. It will obviously show
charge, but not everything on the car might be wired through it to show
discharge.

However, as with all such cables, you won't do any harm using a larger one
- provided it can fit the terminals.

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.