Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Adding an ammeter to a car

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 10:55:31 +0100, Graeme wrote:

Back to the Morris. I have an ammeter, 30-0-30, and the dynamo is rated
13.5v, 22 amps. Still +ve earth. What I don't have is suitable brown
cable, and there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice.

Found cable described as 3.0mm˛ 44/0.30 27.5 Amp, which seems OK, or
should I go for 4.5mm˛ 65/0.30 35 Amp to be on the safe side?

Any idea of 'standard' car Lucar connector size? Options seem to be
6.3mm, 8mm etc. I'm guessing 6.3, being equivalent to the old 1/4 inch?

It's very easy to 'oversize' the cable to try and reduce losses but it could
inadvertently mechanically overstress the connections either at the regulator,
or at the ammeter

The 3mm^2 especially being multistranded looks similar to what would have been
fitted new on cars thus equipped.

At these current levels sizing the cable to the connectors you will be using and
getting a quality interface, preferably crimped, between the wire and the
connector is IMHO slightly more important than the actual wire size itself.

The Lucar connectors came in iirc about 5 sizes, 1/4" being most common but also
3/8" 3/16" , 110 thou which is just below 1/8" plus half inch.

The dynamo regulator connections will almost certainly be a mix of 1/4" and 3/8"
and possibly 3/16" or on earlier models bare wires into screw terminal blocks.

Every wire will be brown, either plain or with a tracer. The correct colour
codings are online.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Lucaswirecode.htm

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....ew_order_2.pdf