Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Adding an ammeter to a car

On 17/04/2018 10:55, Graeme wrote:

Back to the Morris.Â* I have an ammeter, 30-0-30, and the dynamo is rated
13.5v, 22 amps.Â* Still +ve earth.Â* What I don't have is suitable brown
cable, and there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice.

Found cable described as 3.0mm² 44/0.30 27.5 Amp, which seems OK, or
should I go for 4.5mm² 65/0.30 35 Amp to be on the safe side?

Any idea of 'standard' car Lucar connector size?Â* Options seem to be
6.3mm, 8mm etc.Â* I'm guessing 6.3, being equivalent to the old 1/4 inch?

Thanks!

Someone better informed will be along in a minute, but bear in mind that
you don't want to introduce too much voltage drop in the cable and
connectors on those ancient Lucas systems. My recollection (which may
well be flawed) is that the original cables in those days were more like
modern 6 mm^2 than 4 mm^2.