Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default remove barbed fitting from irrigation tubing

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 12:19:38 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:43:50 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 10:36:07 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
Unless it's left exposed, slack doesn't get you anywhere. Typicaly irrigation
pipe is buried. But using metal fittings instead of plastic, they won't
break. Also, for barbed couplings, the inside diameter of the metal ones
is larger, if max flow is a consideration.

I bought this already assembled. It is not buried, and shape is important.

I didn't say what it was before knowing you would laugh. But here's the rest of the story.

It's a hula hoop. The lightweight ones you get in a toy store are worthless. Most people buy an expensive one or make their own. That way they get the right size for an adult, and the weight is enough to make them usable.

The standard DIY method is get a roll of 160 PSI irrigation poly, cut approximately 9 foot lengths, assemble with a barbed coupling, wrap with tape. There are lots of tutorials on youtube if anybody is interested. I hadn't done that myself because I happened on a couple of good ones for cheap at a thrift shop. But this one broke, leaving half the coupling in each end.

So yeah I could shorten it by just cutting the ends off and using a new coupling, but it would be shorter than I want. 100 foot rolls of this stuff are not that expensive but 90 feet of it would sit in my shed never to be used.

YouTube showed somebody using a heat gun to remove one from a pump, so that's worth a try.

As did a couple of us here, among the first posts. It's short, movable,
if you have a gas range you could heat it with that too. If there is
anything sticking out so you can grab it with pliers, it will come out.
If not a short hook from a clothes hanger or similar to pull on it.

The heat gun did the trick.

I heated the ends, used a screwdriver with the tip bent to 90 degrees to yank the pieces out.

(I bent the screwdriver to get caulk out when I did that tub drain project)