Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme[_7_] Graeme[_7_] is offline

Default BMC A Series oil warning light

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Graeme wrote:
On to the next little problem - oil pressure warning light always on. I
fitted a new pressure switch a while ago, which made no difference so
checked today, and found that the light is on (with ignition) even when
the wire to the sender is disconnected.

You're very trusting driving the car with the oil pressure light on. Not
something I'd do - unless it also has an oil pressure gauge showing things
are OK.

Trusting, up to a point. Having removed the wire from the pressure
sender, and the light remaining on, I have proved that it is not the
pressure switch powering the warning light. I suppose it is possible
that the warning light would be on even with the wiring fault fixed.

(Thinking aloud) If I run a wire direct from the battery to a 12v bulb,
then to the pressure switch, the bulb will light. Then running the
engine *should* extinguish the bulb, which will prove the oil pressure
is OK. I think.
--
Graeme