Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Bud@Weiser.com is offline

Default Jump starter for lawnmower?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 01:28:52 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

car battery, but the acid is a gel, not a liquid.

If you have a farm supply store nearby, these Gel Cells are also sold
for Solar-Charged Electric Livestock Fencers.

Actually pretty hard to find a real gel-cell today.

The majority are the MUCH better Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) VRLA battery
- also known as "starved electrolyte"

They are still sold and called Gel Cells for the electric fencers. Back
in the 90s I used to get them at a place that sold overstock items and
they were cheap. I used them to power one of them big camcorders that
everyone had back then. (withe the vcr tape inside). It also doubled as
a battery for a portable CB radio made for temporary use in cars.

I simply mounted the gel cell in a strong canvas bag, and put a
cigarette lighter female socket on a wire that hung out of the bag. The
bag had a strap so I could hang it on my shoulder. I could run that
camcorder for many hours off that single 12V Gel Cell. Probably 5 times
the capacity of the internal battery pack made for that camcorder. The
CB radio ran a whole day on that battery. I would charge them with a
standard 2A car battery charger. Worked great.

The ones sold for the electric fencers are very expensive. I'd check
ebay.