Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jump starter for lawnmower?

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 19:05:56 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 4/13/18 5:42 PM, mike wrote:
I'm getting too old to pull-start my lawnmower.
I bought a used electric start, but the battery is shot.
A quality battery that actually has a specified internal
resistance is about $40.Â* And even if I'm careful to keep it
charged over the winter, it's not likely to last more than
a couple of years.Â* Depending on the source, it may have
been sitting on the shelf sulphating for years.

Do you have a vehicle you could use to jump start the
mower? It's an old trick to rig up a vehicle with welder
type female ends in the grill or somewhere handy. Those are
connected to the vehicles battery with welding cable. Attach
a set of male ends to a set of jumper cables. Plug them in
when you want to jump start the mower.

I did that with my riding mower for a couple months, jumping it off
the golf cart until I found out why the battery was always dead.