Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Logging mains voltage: Arduino or Raspberry Pi?

On 13/04/2018 11:43, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/04/2018 10:36, newshound wrote:
On 12/04/2018 17:58, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/04/2018 12:37, newshound wrote:
For reasons I won't bore you with, I'm interested in building a cheap,
simple data logger to monitor mains voltage, ideally two channels (live
to earth and neutral to earth). In the dim and distant past I have
designed and built such things more or less from scratch, but surely
someone has already done this.

I havn't used either Arduino or Pi before, but I assume one or other
would be the obvious starting point.

However ATM google isn't giving me a strong lead. Thoughts?

Thinking outside the box a bit, many line interactive UPSs come with
voltage logging and can be connected via USB.

Others have made that point. I don't have one and don't really think I
need one.

Fair enough - just thought I would mention it in case you had one
knocking about and had not thought about it.

Â*I think I should be able to "DIY" a solution which would also
serve as an introduction to this new kit: I've been thinking for a while
that it would be nice to have a portable data logger that I could use to
monitor the heating system, etc.

A roll your own solution will obviously be more versatile (and probably
fun!)

Fun is good :-)