Default Maytag washer electrical problem

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the motor with a new one and it didn't make a difference.
I haven't tried to manually move it while it hums since there's no safe spot to put my
hands to give it a push. When I replaced the motor, all I had to do was unplug and unbolt
it. There were no external capacitors or relays in the vicinity of the motor. If something
internally is wrong with the old motor, it's a helluva long shot that the exact thing
would be wrong with the new motor, I would think.
Any other ideas?
Thanks again.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:01:31 -0500, "Bob M." wrote:

Sounds like it's just not starting. I bet if you try to move it manually,
keeping your hands out of danger, it will start and run just fine until the
power shuts it off again.

If there's an external motor starting capacitor, that's probably bad. If
there isn't, and the motor uses an additional winding inside, then either
the winding has gone bad or the centrifugal switch on the motor shaft is not
working properly. It should be closed when the motor is stopped, and then
will open when the motor spins up to speed.

There could also be a motor starting relay somewhere, at or near the motor
starting capacitor. These are certainly cheaper than the motor, and probably
easier to change. While there are ways to check these components,
replacement is probably faster and cheaper.

Bob M.
======
wrote in message
. ..
Update: It is not the belt. I removed the belt and tested it and it still

does it. While
watching the motor and operating the control knob, when you turn it on,

the motor will
quickly rotate just a touch, them stop and hum. If you repeatedly turn

off/on the control
knob, sometimes there's a click, then the motor starts up. No click = the

motor hums. The
humming and the click are both coming from the motor and not from the

control knobs area
up on top. It sounds to me like some sort of relay or switch is sticking

or not operating.
Like I posted before, I tried a new motor (as in brand new, not rebuilt)

and it did
exactly the same thing. Any ideas?
Thanks again

From: newsgro

Everything works fine except for right after it fills the tub for the

rinse
cycle and
normally, would spin the tub to eject the water, there is a humming

coming
from the
washer, nothing moves, and after a few seconds, it shuts off. If you

wait a
few seconds,
manually stop the cycle

Sounds like the belt is slipping.