Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heat sink grease

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 00:30:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I like Dow 340.

I have several tubes of the stuff. It works, but I prefer Arctic
Silver 5 for CPU overclocking and RF power devices. Actually, I
prefer lapping and polishing the device and heatsink, but that's not
always an option. A small tube of Arctic Silver 5 lasts me about 20
i7 size CPU's or about $0.25/per CPU because I use very little.

Also, do you know how to apply it? You put a daub or a bead
near or between the mounting screw(s) and tighten to squeeze out
the excess. Spreading it can cause air pockets which defeats the
purpose. This method prevents that.

That's not very compatible with my dictum "The less thermal goo you
use, the better it works". You want metal to metal as much as
possible with the thermal goo just filling in the cracks and gouges.

You probably won't find a website that tells this method, but I
know of what I speak. Just like you won't find on the web WHY
to use 100 % ethylene glycol for your engine coolant, but I
can make me case and it is hard to argue against. Anyone wants
to dispute it make your case and then my case will bury you.
Guaranteed.

I've posted my test results in sci.electronics.design. I'll see if I
can find the article. You might find it of interest.

You get sort of a feel for how big of a daub or bead to apply.
Ideally it should stick slightly out the sides of the device,
that assures full coverage. You don't want a huge amount of
excess. Also in some cases it is a good idea to push the device
on to the heatsink by hand with as much force as possible.
Screws strip in aluminum and some of them have a spring type
hold down.

Sigh.

The clear stuff is no good. Even the best stuff is actually a
thermal insulator but it beats air. the white stuff has microscopic
particles in suspension and they do most of the heat conduction.
the clear stuff doesn't have it. Don't use it.

At least we agree on that part.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558