Default Maytag washer electrical problem

Hi,
Our Maytag Performa washer has developed a problem that seems to be getting worse.
Everything works fine except for right after it fills the tub for the rinse cycle and
normally, would spin the tub to eject the water, there is a humming coming from the
washer, nothing moves, and after a few seconds, it shuts off. If you wait a few seconds,
manually stop the cycle with the control button and start it again, it will them kick in
and continue the cycle, and the rest of the other cycles.
It has done this 3 times and each time, there is a electrical burning smell. I removed the
front panel of the washer and the motor was pretty hot to the touch. I thought it might be
the starter windings in the motor, so I replaced the motor, but that didn't make any
difference and it still makes the humming and will not continue the cycle unless you do
the steps outlined above.
Is there some sort of relay or switch that could be causing this? I have a voltmeter and
know how to use it, so if someone could help me troubleshoot it, I would greatly
appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.