Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default Galvanised watering can repair

wrote in message

On Wednesday, 11 April 2018 11:39:45 UTC+1, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 03:25:08 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

You can get special low temperature solder that works on galvanised
steel.

Aside from the fact that the original can leaked in 2011: regular
tin/lead or
tin solder will work on galvanised steel, also on sheet zinc. Just don't
overheat, i.e. an electric iron is better than a blowlamp (which may burn
off
the zinc, or melt a hole in sheet zinc). Zinc chloride is a good flux,
used to
known as "killed spirits of salt".

Thomas Prufer

The question was asked 21 hours ago. Tin/lead solder will work in the sense
that it goes on, if the workpiece is got spotless, which may be a
challenge. But it has near zero strength.

NT

CLEAN galvanised steel solders very nicely using the new 'lead free'
solder - in fact it's about the only thing I've found that it is useful for
! I bend up small boxes and fitting from 1.2 mm 'Zintec' sheet and fillet
all the corners with this stuff. Take a time getting used to the longer
liquidus but the results are very good given practice.

Andrew