Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Why won't this work?

In sci.electronics.repair, on Sun, 8 Apr 2018 19:32:19 -0700, The Real
Bev wrote:

On 04/08/2018 03:40 PM, Henry Ford wrote:
On 4/8/2018 2:56 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/8/2018 10:25 AM, Henry Ford wrote:
On 4/8/2018 10:01 AM, micky wrote:
I'm renting a brand-new car, a 2018 High'N'Dry, that has a USB style
port that allows me to play a flashdrive through the radio -- but will
not charge the phone using the same port. Isn't that very unusual?
Impossible?

2018 High'N'Dry USB port must be broken or is a mal-engineered piece of ****.
FWIW, I use the USB ports in my Fords for charging phones and playing flashdrives.

Read elsewhere USB ports can be too under-powered and will work for devices but not to charge them.

That must be it. At least I'm not the only one.

You could use cigarette lighter adapter to charge things.

That's what I've been doing, but I'm sure a lot of people don't think to
bring one of those things. (You have to have one that lights up, too.
Last year I had one that never lit up and I wouldn't know when it wasn't
plugged in well and wasn't charging anything.)

Yah, you're right. It just seems silly to do that in a vehicle.

What, keeping your phone/tablet charged in a car seems silly? Recent

I think he means it's silly to have an underpowered usb port in a car,
since you can't go to the next room and use the outlet there.

3-day 1K-mile trip through Utah, and I ran my phone down taking photos.

I would have run my phone down too but I kept it charging. In addition
I carry a real camera and I ran its battery down twice, but I had 2
spare batteries. (and could also charge it from the car without
removing the battery) Plus for only about 5 dollars I got a car charger
for the camera battery (when outside the camera) and I used that. So I
really needed 2 cigarette sockets. The Kia had two. The Nissan Micra I
started with this year had only one, but I brought a Y-connector for
cigarettes. They have them with wires, even tri-connectors at hamfests,
but this one was from Amazon and was one stiff plastic case.

Then they called and said I had to return the car that day, the next
day, for sure the day after. They could have given me more warning.
The new one is a High'n'dry. USB but no AUX. Fortunately I was smart
enough to bring something, about the size and shape of a spool of
thread, and it connects to the phone with bluetooth and to the radio
with any FM frequency I choose. It works really well, starts by
itself, and the only probably is that the girl inside it pronounces
bluetooth as blazetooth. Maybe I can get the incredible shrinking man
to go in there and teach her better diction.

A car charger is essential.

Absolutely