Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default BMC A Series - remove thermostat housing

Graeme wrote:

Any tips for removing a housing that has been in place for many (25+)
years? This particular engine is in a 68 Traveller, and the stub for
attaching the top hose has disintegrated, which does not help the water
circulation or cooling.

Can you get the bolts out or is that the problem?

I seem to remember that often the bolts came out OK but the housing
tended to be rather well glued in place by the gasket cement.

Do you need to preserve the thermostat housing? If not then just
break it, it's fairly non-robust aluminium alloy I think. If you need
to preserve the housing then try levering it up working round the edge
with a screwdriver or chisel, you should be able to get the bladein
the gap where the gasket is, the gaskets are quite thick.

--
Chris Green
ยท