Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat that lets ME control the cycle rate?

trader_4 wrote: "
IDK exactly how much my HW fluctuates by, but it's not perceptable
and the display always shows whatever it's set to, once it attains
that temp. I don't see how it can have anything to do with the
cost of the thermostat, it's just an algorithm in software. I would
think it was probably to reduce energy usage, ie by not having
the system cycle excessively. But then part of it I don't understand.
The number of cycles you get if you set it for a new, high efficiency
furnace is less than if you set it for an old one. You'd think it
would be the other way around, ie that an old furnace has more mass,
takes longer to "

I do believe the firing 'presets' are cheaper
to mfg/install inside the stat than old
fashioned sliding anticipators. But I've
become pretty adept at setting anticipators
by feel, and by indicated temperature, so
I trust them more than the new stuff.

Another elephant in the room affecting
firing rates that few people - in America at
any rate - consider:

The room or structure itself! How 'tight' is
it? How well insulated all around. Any
cracks, gaps, loose-fitting windows or
doors? Uninsulated crawl spaces or
an attic hatch with no stripping?