Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Like cutting Dove Tails by hand?

On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 12:46:42 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Some of the "seams" seemed a little ragged, maybe with some gaps. What
does one do when that happens, even with a "standard" dovetail?

Practice makes perfect, or mo betta. I made a bed frame using hand cut dovetails, for the square corners. They looked ragged.... my first attempt at hand cut dovetails, long ago. I've improved, since then, not just with measuring, but with better tools.

I've done some other locking joint types, where there are small gaps. I used thin slivers to fill the gaps. Another similar example, for round Windsor type chair legs or backrest supports, a kerf is cut into the end of the leg/support (insert) and a wedge is installed, to snug up the fit.

Good sharp tools help a lot, when doing fine cuts.

As John T points out, hand cut jointery has its place in the scheme and look of some hand worked pieces. You or the cuts don't have to be perfect, as long as the joints function as need be.

In the fan dovetail example, the nice curve effect of the tails "around" the corner takes your eye away from any imperfections. His work is done on what looks like it might be small scrap boards, i.e., practice?

Sonny