Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Upgrade laser electronics

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 11:27:17 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi Guys,

Just picked up an old laser engraver that was based on a plotter, looks to be about 20" x 12". The laser itself lives (ouch), but the transport electronics are fried. Besides when it was working, it used windows 3.11 and Corel 5 (I think he said)!!

I am wondering if I can use an Arduino+RAMPS and Marlin/GRBL (???) to drive the thing back t life. Anyone have some links to a DIY build? I do NOT want to go to something like Mach3, just way too much overhead for what I need at the moment.

I am about to dig into the guts to locate the stepper motors to see what I can find on voltage current etc. Since it was based on a plotter, (no idea what brand) I am guessing RAMPS might work. Wiki shows win3.11 and Corel-5 as 1994.

Helpful thoughts?

Arduino and GRBL will work. All sorts of online info.
Eric