Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Upgrade laser electronics

On 07/04/18 19:27, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just picked up an old laser engraver that was based on a plotter, looks to be about 20" x 12". The laser itself lives (ouch), but the transport electronics are fried. Besides when it was working, it used windows 3.11 and Corel 5 (I think he said)!!

I am wondering if I can use an Arduino+RAMPS and Marlin/GRBL (???) to drive the thing back t life. Anyone have some links to a DIY build? I do NOT want to go to something like Mach3, just way too much overhead for what I need at the moment.

I am about to dig into the guts to locate the stepper motors to see what I can find on voltage current etc. Since it was based on a plotter, (no idea what brand) I am guessing RAMPS might work. Wiki shows win3.11 and Corel-5 as 1994.

Helpful thoughts?

This may not be helpful but in my experience the Windows plotter driver
was a big POS and a waste of time for accurate work. It converted the
vector GDI to raster and sent that to a vector device and seemed to pay
no attention to the pen parameters configured. When I wrote a PCB
package for Windows I wrote my own plotter driver which did accurate
plots unlike the standard Windows offering. There was a decent
aftermarket plotter driver but whether it's still available I don't
know. Maybe Corel had its own plotter routines, I can't say. I don't
know the packages you references but may look them up for future reference.