Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat that lets ME control the cycle rate?

On 4/7/18 11:27 AM, J.Albert wrote:
On 4/7/18 12:56 AM, mike wrote:
What is it that makes a stable temperature undesirable?

I want the furnace to run only once every few hours.
I'm willing to put up with the temperature swings as a result of doing
so. I realize that may be different from what most others might want or
expect.
But that's what _I_ want.

That's what I'm doing now.
I turn the thermostat "way up" before bed, let things get just a little
"overly warm".
Then I turn the thermostate "way down" so that the furnace won't run at
all overnight.
Of course, it's on the chilly side in the morning, so I repeat the process.
A good "warm up" in the morning seems to last all the way into the
evening at this time of year.

I'd like to set those "wide swing points" on the thermostat itself.
But if I can't, I'll just set them manually (I'm retired and home most
of the time).

Would it work to put some sort of a timer between the thermostat
and the
furnace? The furnace wouldn't kick on no matter what the thermostat does
for a set time.