Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Motorhome power supply.

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
The mains to 12v power supplied failed in a mate's motorhome, so although
he got it replaced I offered to look at it to see if it could be repaired
as a spare.

It is branded PowerPart, and is a 20 amp 13.8v device which charges the
leisure battery as well as running any 12v things when on mains. Cost
about 100 quid.

It was well and truly fried. Only heatsink for the power Mosfets was the
thin ally case - and a small cooling fan. Not that much for a device
likely mounted inside a cupboard of some sort.

Rectifier was short circuit and a transformer burnt with half the
laminations lying loose inside the case, so gave up.

This is one I purchased recently, though not from this seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-20A-C...t/122314362986

It certainly looks better than the one I have here. Which looks decidedly
home made, case wise. ;-)

But wonder if that unit could be used as a stand alone power supply for
12v stuff in the van, with no battery present? The current one can.

I haven't tried that. I always have batteries in situ. It's the only way
I can provide the additional power for a microwave through a 3kW inverter.