Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Steel tube

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Decided to just go ahead with what I have, for cutting. Angle grinder in a
stand with steel cutting discs. And wondered if I'm using the wrong
technique?

A new disc cuts well, but soon seems to get blunt (or clogged) without
looking badly worn. Thinking it might be my Chinese Bosch ones, bought
some Rhodius (made in Germany) from ToolStation, which were more
expensive. And if anything they are worse.

It's cutting through the top of the square that is the problem. Once
through that it rips down the sides. And I can rotate it to cut the bottom
vertically.

Have you tried starting with it rotated by 45 degrees, then in 90 degree
steps - so that you are always cutting into a corner?

Looking at the grinder stand, I can adjust the position of the vice
relative to the blade. At the moment it is set so the blade hits the
centre of the tube face. I'll try altering it so it hits a corner first.
The vice isn't big enough to hold the tube at 45 degrees.

--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.