Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default splitting cable internet and antenna tv

In article ,
says...

I thought they have no isolation either and I know for sure I've seen
many that are actually labeled bi-directional.

The other problem I pointed out is, even assuming you combine them,
then what do you do at the TV? To recover the cable the coax goes
to the cable box, then the cable box sends HDMI or component video
to the TV. The OTA signal won't make it through. I guess you could
split the signal at the TV, send on direct to the tuner input of the
TV, other to the cable box. But then you wind up having to switch
inputs to view and also you've split something 3 ways already, now
you'd be splitting it again, so you'd be down to one sixth signal
strength, which may be too low.

Still not sure what the purpose is, because if you have cable, it
has the local stations already included. I guess there might be some
third tier station they don't carry. Or they want better HD reception.
Apparently in at least some cases OTA is better than what comes across
cable.

Comming into my house is a cable that has 2 outputs, the internet and TV
signals. From there one cable goes to the internet modem box (it also
does the internet telephone), the other cable goes to a 3 way splitter
that goes to 3 televisions.

I know the first splitter has to be bidirectional, or the internet would
not work. As before, most are just simple resistor networks and will
pass signals equally well in both directions with some loss.

I think the OP may want to do away with the TV part of the cable and
only use the internet part, then use the same cable hooked up to an
outside TV antenna. Unless there are some devices that I am not aware
of, there is no way to feed a regular antenna TV signal into the same
cable that is used for the internet.