Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Motorhome power supply.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Not really. A lead-acid battery should be charged to something like
14.5 volts to get it fully charged (and it's important to get them
fully charged sometimes). Then, when it's fully charged, the charger
should drop back to 13.5 volts or so to maintain the battery in
'float'. Most 'intelligent' lead-acid battery chargers will do
something like this, the 14.5 volts guarantees full charge but if
maintained long term will make the battery gas. Really clever
chargers will occasionally wake up out of float mode and do a sort of
battery conditioning sequence.

Very odd. SLA batteries have been charged at constant voltage for many
many years. What has changed?

Sealed batteries *may* have different requirements but I seem to
remember my leisure batteries (which are non top-up'able) had graphs
showing the above sort of sequence for charging. They certainly seem
to work well with my solar chargers which certainly do go up to 14.5
volts or so and then back off.

--
Chris Green
ยท