Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Is there anything left in Maplins?

On 06/04/2018 10:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 16:13:37 -0700, jgh wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Quite. An estate built near here about 30 years ago doesn't have
anything like enough parking for the cars people will inevitably have.
Done deliberately at planning time. Which means they spill out onto
surrounding roads which are already congested by parking.

I used to continuously have arguments about this last decade when I was
involved in this stuff.
: The development's next to a bus stop, so there's no parking places. Q
But where will the residents put their cars?
: They'll be using the buses.
Q Yes, but where will they put their cars when they're using the buses?
: They're student flats, they'll be walking to university.
Q Yes, but where will they put the car that they've used to drive here
in September and will drive away at half term/end of term? Cars cost
thruppence happenny nowadays, Students Have Cars.
etc.

And - as proved by the above exchange - never any thought for people who
can't walk or use buses.

Why on earth would SWMBO chance her arm waiting at a bus stop, onluy to
be told she can't get on *this* bus, because there's no space for the
wheelchair.

Or, in 30 minutes, the next bus.

Or, after an hour, the bus after that.

(Bearing in mind this is how the DWP would require you to get to work).

I think there's almost always a need to provide disabled parking. And
round here people can get the council to designate space outside their
home. Whether that's enough is another matter.

--
Cheers, Rob