Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there anything left in Maplins?

On Thursday, 5 April 2018 16:59:31 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 5 April 2018 15:57:41 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
michael adams wrote:
Wouldn't put it past them here in Cambridge any unused building will be
flats sooner or not much later;!

If my local Council is anything to go by, they seem to encourage the
developement of flats anywhere and everywhere so as to increase their
income from Council Tax. It also suits them for them to stay empty
for as long as possible, or at least until the developer goes bust.

What creates more income to the council? A shop or that shop (area)
converted to flats?

On the High St its the spaces above large shops which were formerly
stockrooms that are being converted into flats. Ground floors of
smaller sites are often taken over by charity shops that get either
80% or 100% business rate relief.

Just In Time delivery resulting from improved IT has probably freed
up a lot of stockroom space in any case.

Otherwise flats are going up everywhere despite there being little
or no parking provision in many places.

By design, lots of new places near me and near public transport aren't allowed parking
spaces.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/s...-a3704011.html

Khans father was a bus driver. And he's full of pie in the sky nonsense.
Have you personally travelled on a London Bus recently ?

Yes, ~8:15am this morning, twice a day weekdays, sometimes more.

Basically they're
now targetted at idiots who instantly forget what bus they got on, immediately
they board and have to be reminded at every stop with loudspeaker announcements
at full volume.

No we don't need to be, most know where we are and where we are going.
But at night when it;s dark, cold and the windows are steamed up you don't always know where exactly you are and whther or not the next stop is closed..
But at least they stop the stupid warning about the bus about to move while it was already moving.

That''s if you're lucky enough to travel when the bus isn't full of
schoolkids.

True, they seemed to have cut out all school buses.

Personally I'd rather crawl on my hands and knees in the rain rather than have to
travel regularly on buses.

That is your choice.

So quite why Khan expects people who are expected to
pay upwards of 500k for a flat to do so, is rather beyond me.

Because they can live outside London in a nice big house and pay £5k+ a year to travel in on public trnasprot or drive in and pay for parking and have 2+ hours travel time.

The tube is hardly any better although passenger numbers have fallen this year
apparently, although not during rush hours from what I can see.

Maybe that is why we are increasing the number of people living in London and other cities so we can have more of these £500k 1-2 bed flats rather than 6 bed house out in the sticks, because we need more people on public transport.