Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic bottle farce

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 21:26:14 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 21:18:28 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 18:54:59 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 18:37:18 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 16:52:29 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 16:45:51 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 07:43:13 -0600, rbowman wrote:

The older versions constantly irritate me. Even something as simple as
selecting and copying files, Windows 10 is just so much cleverer the way
it does it.

What's cleverer than

copy d:\dirtyPictures\MileyCyrus.jpeg .

?

COPY D:\MP3Files\*.MP3 Dlaylist\.m3u /ON/B
(creates a standard play list from the MP3 files directory sorted by
artist name)
or
XCOPY D:\files d:backup /S /M /D:01-01-2018
(Copies all files from "files" and every sub directory under it to
"backup" that were created since 1/1/18 that have been modified since
the last time you copied them or otherwise reset the archive bit)
A clever person can do things with a few keystrokes in DOS that you
need an extra software package to do in Windoze.
There are DOS text editors can do things to a flat text file that you
pretty much cannot do in windoze unless you want to create an excel
spread sheet.

I can make a playlist by simply dragging files onto Window Media Player, no typing required.

Sure, dragging files one at a time.

No, I can drag folders, groups of files, whatever I like. Much much easier than typing commands.

This takes about a second and I am not dragging that media player hog
around.

It uses 1% of my CPU when running.

Some of us don't have a problem typing and how would you easily just
drag and drop files that had not been backed up, that start with the
string "Glasgow" and only include ".JPG" files?
Windows would let you sort for file name, extension or date but not
all 3.

In DOS it is
XCOPY D:\Glasgow*.jpg d:backup /S /M /D:01-01-2018

Why type when you can just click? I'd just search for Glasgow, then sort the results by type.

But you either sort by type or date, not both.
At a certain point I will be able to type that command far faster than
all of your clicks.

If you like windoze, use it but don't deny it is the not always best
solution to every problem.